Monday, December 16, 2013

Eggs Benedict, slightly overrated.

Eggs benedict with Wasabi Hollandaise, 2013

Everyone loves eggs benedict, the filthy, buttery hollandaise sauce over humble poached eggs. I love my sourdough, what my mum names it to be textured like the skin of a tree trunk, or a simple wholegrain english muffin, served with smoke salmon, ham or avocado.

Eggs benedict with Wasabi Hollandaise, 2013

For the poached eggs, I would use a shallow pan and bring water to a simmer, and with the tiniest bit of cider vinegar. Eggs and vinegar does not go together too well, one of the reasons why I prefer sunny side when dining out. From the little packets of wasabi I pinched from the sushi store, I thought it would be a good addition to my hollandaise sauce.

hollandaise sauce
(serves 4)

2 egg yolks
1 tsp milk

90g unsalted butter, diced
2 tsp lemon juice
1/4 tsp wasabi or mustard
1/4 tsp salt

method :
  1.  whisk egg yolks and milk over a pot of simmering water. turn on the lowest heat and whisk until mixture thickens to pouring cream consistency.
  2.  add in butter gradually and whisk until melted. whisk in lemon juice.
  3. remove from heat, add salt, serve.
note :
     ♥ hollandaise sauce will slowly thicken up when cool




Ally's version of eggs benedict, 2012

I made it for the first time, last year for my girl friend, upon request. Unlike me, she's not a fan of cakes and pastries, but we both enjoy our coffee and breakfasts just as much. You can tell how much she loves her chilli (picture below). As a Malaysian, I am ashamed to say my tolerance for spiciness is zero when compared to her (Korean), and I am not all that bad (for a Malaysian). My mum who loves eating chilli on it's own had to raise her white flag. I love my sambal and Chinese style curry, try telling me you can chew on raw chilli, wait till you meet Ally. 

No comments:

Post a Comment